London First’s manifesto for the general election (6 April 2010)April 6, 2010
For UK Growth, For Business, For London
London First Business Manifesto for the General Election
London businesses have today outlined key areas where the next Government must act to protect and enhance the capital’s competitive edge.
In its five-part manifesto, London First, the business group whose members include many of London’s leading private sector employers, sets out what business needs from the next Government to safeguard the capital’s future economic success.
The Government must:
- Spend, save and tax wisely so that short term measures to balance the budget do not undermine the UK’s longer term economic prospects. Government should call upon private sector experience to deliver efficiency savings, apply rigorous cost:benefit analysis to prioritise the most productive investment and avoid tax policies which make Britain and London internationally uncompetitive
- Maintain planned investment in London’s transport infrastructure which is critical to the country’s future growth
- Put in place policies to enable and encourage new commercial development and housing
- Address employability with skills training to better fit London business needs
- Give London the financial policy autonomy it needs to maintain its competitive edge.
Baroness Jo Valentine, Chief Executive of London First, said:
“The dubious high street fashion for banker and business bashing before the election will soon need to be replaced by sober, sensible suits and serious policy making.
“London and London business has had a tough couple of years – made tougher by the decline in the quality of relationship between national politicians and the business community. But successful business is fundamental to national economic wellbeing and Government must act to protect and enhance the UK capital’s competitive edge. After the election Government must work with business leaders to tackle the challenges and build a successful and growing economy.”
For further information, please contact:
Emma Apter on 020 7665 1427 / 07535977004
Notes to Editors
For UK Growth, For Business, For London – London Business Manifesto represents the views of London First members and identifies key areas in which the next Government must act to protect and enhance the competitiveness of the UK capital. Through extensive, ongoing engagement with Government, Opposition and Whitehall stakeholders London First will use this manifesto to influence the election campaign and the crucial first months of the new administration, when business and Government will need to work together to tackle the many challenges.
London First is a business membership organisation with a mission to make London the best city in the world in which to do business. London First undertakes this by mobilising the experience, expertise and enthusiasm of the private sector to develop practical solutions to the challenges facing London. London First also seeks to persuade central and London government to make the investments that London needs in its infrastructure.
London First delivers its activities with the support of the capital’s major businesses in key sectors such as finance, professional services, property, ICT, creative industries, hospitality and retail. Membership also includes further education colleges and all of London’s universities. London First members represent over a quarter of London’s GDP.